Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Globe Theatre
If I were going to venture to William Shakespeare's Globe
Theatere during his lifetime it would be filled with many things I had never
seen before but some things that are still common today. Established in 1599 by
Shakespeare's playing company and built by James Burbage, it was full of many
wonderful actors. It could hold up to one thousand five hundred people. People
of all sorts of authority were there, including the Queen. She would have much
to say and watch and would be delighted each time she went to watch one of
Shakespeare's plays. I would be seeing The Merchant of Venice most likely
because of its humor yet dramatic ending with Shylock. It would have brought me
to a deeper view of Shakespeare because of his deep meaning as well as his
understanding of everything at that time. I would have been standing, not
sitting, in the "Pit" as Queen Elizabeth would have called it because
I was of no high reign of power, or wealth. I would have been a Commoner most
likely and would have only had to pay 1 penny in the "Box Office"
because of it. Looking around me I would see an open area where the actors
could perform and everyone in the building could have a great view. The Globe
was made primarily of wood they believe, and able to have a large capacity of
1500 mentioned above. Because it was full of people it would have most likely
been loud until the play went on. During the play there would then be complete
silence because rumor says that if you were interrupting the play, you would
have been arrested and or executed. Watching the play I would know what is
going on in the play because of the way they conveyed it. They would show
complete emotion as well as a great setting, just as Shakespeare would have wanted.
Even though there would be cruelty, murder, and very strange occurrences, I
would approve of the actors because they are showing Shakespeare at his finest.
Plays would be occurring during the day because there was no way to light the
theater at night. Before and after the play I would be supporting my family on
a farm most likely, and return home to do the same as soon as the play was
over. With a day of rest I would save up my penny to go see another play later
that week because I would be very interested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really liked your story. I especially like all the facts you brought in because it made the story seem more believable.
ReplyDeleteHi Patrick,
ReplyDeleteGood job on your first blog post! I particularly enjoyed your numerous references to historically accurate information about the Globe Theatre and Elizabethan England. You might have benefited from not relying so heavily on the purely hypothetical, "would." It's clear that you have a firm grasp of the historical time period in which Shakespeare wrote his plays. Keep up the good work.